Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chicken Parts Make Me a Good Mom

Fundamentally, I abhor unnatural meat products.  Ekkkkk.  Yuck.  Gross.

Real life sometimes gets in the way of your fundamentals.  Specifically, a workday filled with  interviews from 8:15am to 4:30pm got in the way of my fundamentals.

I was baked by the drive home.  Crispy.  Done.  Not Kentucky Fried Chicken baked, crispy and done.  More like, "stop at the grocery store for a bag of frozen, breaded chicken parts shaped like breast meat" baked, crispy and done.

I knew that the extremely healthy meal previously planned was ready to prepare at home.  I am going to be honest that the thought of roasting carrots and sweet potatoes with a side of pork roast made me feel exhausted.  Baked. Crispy. Done.

And so I decided to settle.  To not take this budget (and this life) so seriously.

With $12 left in the food budget, I walked through the doors of the local Hannfords.  A pint of strawberries, chicken parts, and frozen French fries maxed out our budget for the month with $1.78 to spare.  Two Cadbury Eggs put us right on the line.  We walk the line, right.  Done.

My two cents:  Being on a budget does not require you eat chicken parts.  But embrace your life, your family and your morales.  And then allow yourself a break.



No comments:

Post a Comment