Sunday, March 16, 2014

You Reap What They Sow: Lessons from Sims Freeplay

My Sims Freeplay alter ego is an over spender.

Sims Freeplay is an online simulation game.  You add imaginary people into an imaginary town and then create imaginary lives, families, jobs, and hobbies for them.  You can also buy imaginary things for them by earning imaginary money doing imaginary things.

The creators probably envisioned a happy community where everyone is advancing their careers, upgrading their houses, and becoming better people.

In my town, things work a little different.

Queen Mother rules the roost.  And she is an overspender.

She lives in an extravagant house filled with expensive toys and decorations.  She has a swimming pool and a dishwasher and a $10,000 king size bed.  She has a Mercedes, a hat collection and a jacuzzi tub.

How does she pay for this extravagant lifestyle?  Indentured Sims, of course.

When Queen Mother creates a new Sim character, the games automatically gives the new character a house with basic necessities.

Queen mother sells this stuff for her own personal gain.  She auctions off the bed, the fridge, the toilet, and even the walls.  Queen Mother then moves the now homeless Sim into the communal bunkhouse in her backyard.
She names them so she can tell them apart.  Nate One, Zack One, Nate Two, Zack Two, Nate Three, Zack Three.

I sometimes online-invite my real children to visit my Sim Town.  It makes them upset.

"Mom!  You have twelve Nates gardening and you are watching movies on the big screen TV," real Nate tells me.  He is appalled.  "We all need showers and food or we are going to pass out."

The Nates can eat and sleep when they are done harvesting potatoes for $248 in Sims cash apiece.  Queen Mother needs a bigger slide for the swimming pool.

"You demolished all my houses! I can't have kids unless I have a place to put a crib," real Zack tells me.

"The Zacks aren't real paternal," I tell him.  "And if they keep kicking over the garbage cans, I am going to have them plant tomatoes overnight."

Queen Mother enjoys buying things and without the Zacks and the Nates working, she would have to curb her frivolous ways.  She doesn't want to stop buying until she has the biggest house in town, a perfect wardrobe, 3 cars parked in the driveway, and a jet airplane on the landing pad.

My real kids know their real mother would do anything for them.  Anything.  But it has got me thinking that it's almost time to start the tomatoe plants seedlings.

My two cents:  Stop trying to keep up with the Queen Mothers of the World.  Plant a garden instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment