Sunday, March 2, 2014

Revenge of the Prunes

The doctor told him to eat more prunes.

For the sake of annomitity, I will not disclose who got this advice at his physical last year.  I won't even divulge why the advice was given.

But a whole year has gone by and the big container of prunes, purchased with noble intentions, remains disregarded, neglected, and uneaten in the far reaches of the cupboard.

I found them while searching for chocolate chips.

So I chopped up the whole container and added diced prunes to the Sunday afternoon cookie batch.

Most times, cookie day results in multiple visits the the kitchen by multiple members of the family.  They come not to help make the cookies, but to steal batter, lick the mixer, and get first grabs of the finished products.  

The prunes changed everything.

"That's disgusting," Son One mutters as he walks away shaking his head.

Son Two smells my concoction and drops the spoon back into the mixing bowl like the cookies have plague.

Even the dog wants nothing to do with the prune cookies.  She suspiciously watches a prune chunk dropped on the floor, but won't go near.

I am trying to justify to Beau-Hunkly my theory of waste not want not.  He seems to think it is better to waste in this case then Not Want any cookies.

I champion on with my prune cause.  Battle on, under-appreciated former plum.

It works.  3 dozen cookies disappear before they are generously deemed "hardcore."

My two cents:  Dig around in your cupboard for forgotten ingredients and get creative.  It's like finding a quarter on the ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment