Saturday, April 12, 2014

Are Marigolds Edible?

It occurred to me late last night that there is no budget category for my gardens.  I actually awoke from a deep sleep in horror.

What about the magnolias and mulch?  The hostas and hoses?  The pansies and potting soil?

I woke up Beau-Hunkly so we could face this new money issue head on.

"It's 2:00am.  This discussion can wait," he said as he turned back over.

Oh no it cannot!  We need to deal with this crisis immediately.  But he kept sleeping.

By 6:15am, I am on my third cup and PJ is knee deep in my new spreadsheet.

"First I stop getting pedicures" I explain.  "And that will save $60 on the hair and nail budget."

He reminds me there was never money budgeted for nail salons.

"Okay. So then no haircuts for you and the boys until August," I reply.  "Good compromise."

He looks perplexed.

"I think you can eat marigolds in salad," I tell him.  "So that will save us a ton on the grocery bill."

He shakes his head no.

"By taking our household trash to work every morning, you don't need to buy yellow trash bags from the city. That saves $12 from the trash budget," I try.

"I am not commuting to Boston with our trash," he states. 

I get a great brainstorm.  "Would Glenn drive you to work everyday?  That would save a ton in tolls!" I say.

"He lives 20 miles away in the wrong direction, Caroline.  Glenn and I are not carpooling."

This is not going well.  "Do you need another cup of coffee," I sweetly offer. 

He sighs.

"I thought the idea of this budget was to cut spending and still enjoy our lives," he states.  "Go spend some money on flowers."  He stands up.  "I'm going fishing."

If he commuted with our trash, there'd be money leftover for new fishing lures...









No comments:

Post a Comment