Saturday, February 15, 2014

Weekends > Errands


I have a favorite t-shirt.  It's black with big white lettering and reads: Beer > Work
Directly translated from 9th grade Algebra or 2nd grade Math, it means, "beer is greater than work."

I wear it on Saturdays, so most of the townsfolk of our little burg have probably seen me at the mall, the grocery store, the video store and the garden center in this shirt. I used to be the one laden down with shopping bags throwing money at the cash registers.

Drive to store, scour every aisle for bargain, stand in line for the cashier, load up car, fight traffic home, unload car, stuff new items in closet, realize closet is too full, bag up old stuff from closet, get back in car and head to donation center.  

By the time I was finally done, I was too tired to cook on Saturday night.  You get the picture.

My Saturdays have recently changed drastically.

Because when you are on a budget, the errands totally dry up.  If we need it, it's already bought.  If we want it, we have already put it to the back of our minds as a later.  The list on the fridge for our weekly Walmart trip is gone. Gone, baby, gone.

Replacing Super Saturday Errand Bonanza has been the easiest part.  Slow coffees with Son I, funny YouTube videos with Son II, and afternoon Pilates with Beau-Hunkly.  Takeout styrofoam containers have been replaced with Kitchen-Congregating Taste Test Kitchen.

I always knew that weekend errands were costing us a lot of money, but I did not realize they were also costing us time and stealing moments with my family.  Being on a budget has prohibited me from mindless errands and in return, has given me a better life.  Weekends > Errands

Directly translated from 9th grade Health or 2nd grade Circle Time, it means:  "weekends are greater than errands."


My two cents.  Go a weekend without spending a dime. Relax instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment